Recipe - Budae Jjigae
7th February 2017
Budae Jjigae, also known as Army Base Stew, was invented during the Korean War. As food was insufficient in South Korea and the Korean people mainly relied on the supplies from U.S. military. Canned spam, baked beans and sausages were the common foods provided by the U.S.A. and these foods were new to Korean at that period. They combined their traditional spicy soup and those canned foods together, and called it Budae Jjigae. This dish is still favour in South Korea but it is adapted to a modern style, cheese and instant noodles will be added.
Budae Jjigae is one of the best dishes to share the yumminess with friends and family. It makes you feel warm in the freezing winter. And more importantly, this dish is very easy to make and tastes delicious. Just a few simple steps and 1 hour to get it done, it is definitely worth a go.
Army Base Stew (Budae Jjigae) Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the stock:
· 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
· 8 large headless dried anchovies,
· Dried kelp (a 5 x 6 inch sheet)
· 8 cups water
· 1 teaspoon salt
For the seasoning paste:
· 8 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 tablespoon hot pepper paste
· 1 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
· 1 teaspoon soy sauce
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· 1½ tablespoons water
· 400g pork belly, cut into bite size pieces
· 50g of sweet potato glass noodles, soaked in water for 30 minutes and drained
· 1 cup worth cabbage, cut into bite size piece
· Half of a medium onion, sliced
· 2 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
· ½ cup fermented kimchi, chopped
· 150g of spam, sliced thinly
· 150g of Polish sausage, sliced
· 1 pack of Shin Ramyun
· ½ cup worth soft tofu, sliced
· 20-25 sliced rice cakes
· 1 slice of American cheese (Optional)
1. Put anchovies, kelp, mushrooms and water into a large pot. Cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes over medium high heat. Add the pork belly and cook for another 10 minutes.
2. Remove the pot from the heat. Take out the anchovies, kelp and mushrooms. Cut the mushrooms into small slices.
3. Remove the mixture of the stock and the pork from the pot and put the pork into a small bowl. You will get about 6 cups of stock. Add a pinch of salt and stir until dissolved.
Make seasoning paste:
1. Combine the seasoning paste ingredients by mixing thoroughly (garlic, hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, soy sauce, sugar, and water in a bowl).
Arrange the ingredients in a shallow pot (10 to 12 inch):
1. Place the cabbage, onion, pork, and the mushrooms on the bottom of the pot.
2. Put the kimchi and the seasoning paste over top.
3. Place the spam, sausage, rice cake, tofu, cheese ramyeon and the sweet potato starch noodles nicely.
4. Put green onion on top and add 3 cups of stock.
Cook and serve:
1. Cook over medium high heat. (The traditional Korean style is to cook at the table with a portable burner. Family and friends will be sitting around the table and sharing the pot. You pick any food you want from the pot with your chopsticks. If you do not have a table top burner, you can cook it on the stove away from the table and serve the whole pot on the table.
2. When it starts boiling about 10 minutes later, stir and turn the ingredients over with tongs to cook evenly and it is ready to serve.
Buy The Ingredients From Our Shop
|Nong Shim Shin Ramyun (辛辣面)||1||£0.65|
|Wang Red Pepper Powder - Coarse (Gochugaru)||1||£3.35|
|Sempio Jin S Soy Sauce (샘표진간장)||1||£1.95|
|O-Sung Sweet Potato Glass Noodle (당면)||1||£3.65|
|Chinese Dried Mushrooms (Shiitake) (中國冬菰)||1||£4.45|
|Frozen Pork Belly 400g (삼겹살)||1||£4.95|
|Pulmone Organic Firm Tofu (풀무원 두부(부침용))||1||£2.35|
|Haechandle Red Hot Pepper Paste Gochujang (청정원 우리쌀 찰고추장)||1||£1.35|
|BDMP Dried Anchovy (Headless)||1||£2.95|
|CJ Bibigo Sliced Kimchi 500g||1||£3.29|
|A+ Hosan Frozen Rice Cake (Sliced)||1||£4.25|
service available for all our Nottingham customers