Festive Clementine Chicken
With Santa’s visit just a matter of days away, the Christmas spirit is well and truly here! With the festive feeling in the air, there’s nothing we enjoy better than the seasonal flavours and aromas from our food and drink. So we’ve put a Christmassy twist on one of our favourite traditional savoury dishes! This is the perfect meal to make in that period between Christmas Day and New Years; after you have grown tired of the turkey leftovers and are looking for something a little more flavourful!
For the Chicken:
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
70g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp unrefined golden caster sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
For the sauce:
3 tbsp soy sauce
Zest and Juice of 10 clementines (or satsumas!)
110g caster sugar
3 slices ginger
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 bunch spring onions, chopped finely
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
120ml chicken stock
1 tbsp cornflour
For the rice:
750g long rice, cooked and cooled
2 spring onions, finely chopped
3 eggs, beaten
Handful of frozen peas
1) Sift the dry ingredients for the chicken into a bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, mix the water a sesame oil, and then gradually add into the dry ingredients, whisking as you go, until a smooth but thick batter is produced. Add more flour or water as necessary.
2) Heat a pan of oil to 180 degrees C. Dip the chicken pieces into the batter, and then drop them straight onto the hot oil. Let them sizzle for around 5 minutes, until they are cooked through and golden. Set cooked pieces on a paper towel to drain while you cook the rest of the chicken.
3) Once all of the chicken has been fried, put it all in one pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
4) For the clementine sauce, combine the soy sauce, clementine juice, zest and sugar in a bowl. In a wok, lightly fry the ginger in oil, with the garlic chilli and spring onions. After a few seconds, add in the rice wine and the clementine mixture. Whisk in the cornflour until smooth and thickened. Simmer for a few minutes and then remove heat and put aside until ready to serve.
5) For the rice, firstly fry the spring onions. Then add in the rice and fry over a high heat before adding peas. Lower the heat and form a well in the centre of the rice. Add the egg into this well and stir it in gently, as you would for scrambled egg. Season with soy sauce.
6) Serve the rice with the crispy chicken and pour over the scrumptious clementine sauce. Enjoy!
Will you be trying this tasty recipe before the new year? Let us know how it tastes on our social media! If you’re looking for Chinese foods in the UK to make this recipe, then be sure to check out the wide range available at Oriental Mart!